Sunday 13 July 2008

Driving lessons, days out and antiques in the park



Finally I've got round to updating my blog. It's been on my mind- must do a post but time's been passing me by. Lots of things have been happening here since I last posted, amongst them the most positive thing that's happened is I'm now officially a learner driver and I've had 3 driving lessons to date! I've been putting it off for ages and it feels really good to have started and get over that initial fear. I'm determined to see this through to the end now. I did have a few lessons when I was 18 but that was 16 years ago so it's like starting from scratch. It really will change my life for the better being able to take the kids out wherever whenever instead of being stuck at home. I'll be able to go somewhere different instead of our usual walk to the village round the same old shops and back and this is a BIG incentive. I'll be able to zoom off to those car boots at the crack of dawn without feeling guilty for dragging Steven out of bed on his only proper day off!!

Other things that have happened are playgroup outings as we approach the summer hols, the playgroups all have a little outing before they break up for 6 weeks. Oh no what are we going to do with ourselves for six weeks? I like the usual routine of our get togethers I like to keep busy I'm going to have to find some other activities for us. We've just started swimming with them so that's a start. So far we've had a trip to the Monkey Forest this is the only place in Britain where you can walk amongst 140 barbary macaques roaming free in 70 acres of beautiful forest.


It was quite worrying at first to have a bunch of overly excited 3 yr olds to have monkeys come right up to them but luckily the monkeys were very laid back and not at all bothered by our presence and the whole place is overlooked by keepers to make sure there's no monkey business going on!

The second trip was to Happy Hens. We've been there a few times and Emily and Elliott love it there. It's a child friendly farm- they had a tractor trailer ride and fed the animals. This week I'm meeting with another group for a picnic in the park weather permitting!

On the thrifting front I spent a lovely morning at Kedleston Hall Antiques in the park this is a large antiques fair held in the grounds of the hall. I could have filled a car full with all the things I wanted but lots of things were quite expensive. I just got a few things including a wooden trug for the garden, some vintage wooden cotton reels with pretty labels. This £3 tray, I really like the decorative handles.


It's now been painted in Farrow and Ball Parma Grey. The tea towel was £3.50 in the Cath Kidston sale.

Some blue and white china, I love it's almost faded pattern the dish was £4 and the little jug a pricey £8 but I thought it was worth it as it's so pretty.






Two deckchairs one £5 from the fair and one £2 off ebay the following week, modelled by Emily and Elliott! I ordered some lovely deckchair canvas from Ian Mankin and set to work on painting them.









Mmm notice a bit of a blue theme going on with my purchases can you tell it's my fav colour! I've not quite got used to the deckchairs yet I keep gingerly sitting down thinking they're going to collapse on me, but they seem to be very sturdy I'm sure I'll get used to them if I ever get the chance to sit outside for more than five minutes without it raining!!

I've also been busy painting shelves for my kitchen but they're not quite finished yet. Not a lot of sewing going on in fact zero but I have lots of plans of things I want to make for an etsy shop so hopefully I'll be making a start on them soon when I put down my paintbrush! Bye for now,

Sarahx

10 comments:

Tinyholder said...

Good on you for doing it! I don't know what I'd do if I didn't drive. I don't think I'd be in the position I am now, certainly wouldn't have been able to get any jobs so it's a lifeline for me! Btw, we're about to stick the Vespa on ebay, it's brand new and has never been ridded, it's an LX50 (50cc) and we want £1500 if you're interested?

julia said...

Well done, a whole new world will open up to you once you've passed your test!
I love the painted goodies, how come mine never look that neat when painted??
Julia x

Carol said...

Good luck with your lessons, have you seen many of these Nissan Figaro...have a peep at them if not...I would love one ! what brilliant make-overs. I have an old deck chair just waiting the right piece of material and paint job. Your make-over on the tray is fab too, I really like Parma Grey, my study is painted in it - very peaceful.
Carol x

periwinkle said...

good luck with your lessons - I've been learning for over a year now and have had at least 100 lessons but haven't took a test yet... hope you do better than me :-)
lisa x

Garden Girl said...

those deckchairs are amazing! Well done you!
x

Tinyholder said...

Brilliant! I love those! Is that your main car? How cool would that be to pass your test and drive that?! My other half has only had his license for a year, I used to have to traipse everywhere and be general chauffeur for him for years! Now we have 3 cars between 2 of us! Bit overkill I think but I could have more if I had the money and the space!

Summer by the sea said...

Wow you have been busy - your deckchairs look great, I have noticed a lot of blue cropping up my my home recently too - Ive been thinking of a colour scheme for our bedroom and I keep going back to duck egg blue/eau de nil colours - Natalie x

mitsib said...

good luck with your lessons, i would not know what to do with myself if i could not drive! ive just realised ive been driving for 20 years omg! thats a looooong time! think of all the lovely places you could go, mine are charity shops ummmmmmmm dreamy! keep it up,

Fabric and Bags said...

Good luck with your driving lessons - I couldn't manage without been able to drive and have a car!
Love the deck chairs - they look fab!
Anne x

Curlew Country said...

Oh what lovely creations. The tray and the deckchairs expecially have really brightened up my dreary day!
I'd love some deckhairs, must keep my eye out.
All the best with the lessons, you'll be a liberated woman when you pass and it's amazing how quickly it all becomes second nature. Keep thinking of the car boots! Have a smashing weekend.
Stephx